What Are The Most Luxurious Neighborhoods on Oahu?
The most prestigious neighborhoods in Oahu are all about location, location, location. Those locations come with hefty prices, with a good number of properties priced above $3 million.
- Kahala - Located on the eastern end of Diamond Head, this iconic elite neighborhood has some of the most expensive real estate on the entire island--think opulent mansions and oceanfront properties with unobstructed views.
- Diamond Head & Waikiki -Million-dollar homes with ocean vistas and stunning views of the extinct volcano. Diamond Head is very accessible neighborhood with an understated atmosphere--surfers and active people of all ages are drawn to this area for some of the best waves and running routes in the island.
- Black Point - This upscale gated community is located on a small peninsula on the southernmost point of the island, nestled between Diamond Head and Kahala. Properties would have incredible views of the ocean and the coastline. Some of its attractive points are its proximity to Honolulu and its seclusion and privacy, while offering residents and visitors plenty of beach activities.
- Portlock - Portlock is actually made up of three separate neighborhoods that is referred to as the Portlock area. This area caters to a high-end, family-friendly lifestyle, with real estate offering the best views of Diamond Head, the Kahala coastline and Maunalua Bay - a delight for water enthusiasts. The Koko Marina Center in Hawaii Kai has available boat slips to dock private boats.
- Hawaii Loa Ridge - Considered to be one of the most premier gated communities in Oahu, Hawaii Loa Ridge is located on the south shore of Oahu about 15 minutes away from Waikiki. Lavish homes have access to the best panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and eastern Oahu. Vacant lots may periodically become available too, so buyers can build their own dream home as they wish.
- Beachside - Beachside is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Kailua, and one of the most desireable as well. Luxury homes are located either beachfront or within a short walk to Kailua beach. The neighborhood has "for residents only" private access paths to the white sand beaches of Kailua Bay. It has charming beachside lanes and amenities such as underground utilities not typically found in the area. Kailua is known for its easy-going, small-town vibe - so you won't find pretentious five-star hotels here.
- Lanikai - This upper-class neighborhood is another prime area in Kailua adjacent to Lanikai Beach, a 0.5-mile stretch consistently ranked among the best beaches in the world. Aside from beachside and beachfront residences, it also offers many hillside properties with a stunning view of the turquoise waters of the ocean and the Mokulua Islands.
- Makiki Heights – Makiki Heights is an older, yet special neighborhood. Historically, people used to gravitate towards neighborhoods like Makiki Heights, Tantalus, Manoa before air conditioning. These areas stayed cooler for more months out of the year. Even during the hot Summer days being higher up and closer to the mountains was cooler and breezier. The other benefit is the view. Makiki Heights has dramatic views over all of Honolulu. During the day, the best views can be from Diamond Head, over Waikiki to Downtown and out to Honolulu Harbor. At night, it is a dramatic display of lights. The high-end homes in this neighborhood are estate-sized, large properties. Residents of Makiki also enjoy how close it is to everywhere in Honolulu. Can you just imagine getting anywhere in Honolulu in under 10 minutes?
- Diamond Head – Like Makiki Heights, Diamond Head is an older neighborhood. There are some famous spots in Diamond Head. Two of the big famous spots are the Diamond Head Lighthouse, which just turned 100 years old, and the Doris Duke Estate. The lighthouse is a true landmark and still functions as a beacon announcing many ships to Honolulu. The house by the lighthouse is also where the head of the Coast Guard for Hawaii lives. And the Doris Duke estate is the home that Doris Duke had built at one of the best points on the ocean. This is a fantastic neighborhood.
- Koko Kai – Koko Kai is home to large estates that overlook the water with dramatic views. These impressive luxury homes are often gated, with some containing tennis courts and massive pools. For a few months out of the year, residents of select homes can view whales jumping in the distance.
- Waialae Nui – Waialae Nui is a ridge community that offers dramatic views in close proximity to downtown Honolulu, beaches, and outdoors opportunities. Made of three distinct sections, the homes in lower portions are the oldest and each of the three sections has their own unique feel to them. All three sections share a growing popularity in the real estate world.
The desirable Oahu neighborhoods are the nicest and most prestigious that are all about location.
For more information on Oahu real estate, newest listing or for details about buying a home in Hawaii, contact my office at any time.
If you enjoyed this post you might like these:
From the beach level entry, the elevator provides an effortless trip to the...